Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Artist profile: Virgil Finlay


Dearest Dope fiends,

I just got my copy of Cold Days (Book 14 of the Dresden files) by Jim Butcher, and am diligently working through it. In the meantime I thought I would share a comic book artist with you that I have loved.

Virgil Finlay

Virgil Finlay (July 23, 1914 – January 18, 1971) was an American pulp fantasyscience fiction and horror illustrator. Finlay specialized in, and became famous for, detailed pen-and-ink drawings accomplished with abundant stippling, cross-hatching, and scratchboard techniques. Despite the very labor-intensive and time-consuming nature of his specialty, Finlay created more than 2600 works of graphic art in his 35-year career.

A few of my favorites to share with you:








Caption:  Abruptly the mesh cloth which was the dancer's only garment seemed to crawl over her body...




this is an illustration from H.G. Wells Time Machine That thing carrying the girl whose chest-icles are about to fall out... yea, that's a Morlock










I would seriously get this next one as a tattoo... 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;