Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It starts...


“All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.” 
― Chuck PalahniukInvisible Monsters


This is a new blog to cover the books I've read as well as the random day to day crap that I am forced to deal with.

A little bit about me: I am in my 30's and spent a large portion of my youth and 20's doing nothing. I lucked out and was hired by the government at the age of 31 to become an Air Traffic Controller. 
The Pros of this:
  • Steady income for my family (wife and four kids)
  • Forced retirement at the age of 56
  • Good pension to live off of when I do retire
  • Sense of well-being and a job well done (I never got that in ANY other job I've worked. It feels good)
The Cons:
  • The gov moved me to West Virginia which is beautiful if you love the out doors and don't mind missing teeth and family trees that don't branch. ( I am NOT an outdoors type person, I love teeth, and i believe that diversity is necessary for our species to move on.)
  • I'm lonely. I left all my friends back home and apparently I've developed some sort of weird social anxiety. I tend to act like a shut in as soon as I'm around a group of people. I become absolutely terrified that I am going to make a fool of myself, then realize that by not saying anything at all I've JUST made a fool of myself. Vicious cycle. So without beer, I lack the proper social skills to make friends...
  • I'm drinking a lot more beer now. (see previous bullet)
  • I hate the education system here. I'm really afraid my kids are going to be stunted intellectually by living here.
Anyhow, one of the things I do to kill the time here while not working, is to read. I read all the time. In fact, I've come across the problem of what to read next. So while I give a breakdown of the books I am reading, I am going to ask for feedback from you, my one and only reader to tell me what to read next.

6 comments:

Zack said...

oi! welcome to the bloggy world, I'm worried that this is proof that your social really is hurting way out there in the boonies...

Zack said...

http://greatstrangedream.blogspot.com/ that too,

Anonymous said...

Read the 7110.65 next...it's a really good read!

Unknown said...

well, that didn't take too long, did it?

Unknown said...

it kinda is. I have a few friends, but for some reason I am having a hard time connecting. oh well.

brian said...

You should read MUSASHI, by Eiji Yoshikawa. Its a work of historical fiction that follows the life of Miyomoto Musashi, one of Japans greatest swordsmen. Despite being considered the most important work of classic japanese liturature, which led me to believe it would be dated and bland, i found i couldnt put it down. Check it out if you havent already read it.

Post a Comment

 
;